Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Choosing Life

When it comes to politics it's safe to say I don't know a whole lot. I don't understand every issue that comes up in political debates. To be honest I don't always care to know everything. Maybe that makes me less of an American citizen, though I would hope not. Because the few things I do feel strongly about I try to make the best decision to vote for the person who will full fill my hopes for those things. In other words I would vote for a person over a party. A moral and decent person is more important to me then smooth words or an impressive resume.

One of those things I feel strongly about is the issue of Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice. I have always been in favor of Pro-Life. Perhaps it is my Christian upbringing, or my inability to hurt anything or anyone, or perhaps I am extrememly sensitive. Whatever the deep seeded reasons I cannot understand why anyone who had a life growing inside of them could choose to end that life. People rationalize that it's only a "fetus" and that it is not a person yet and you are not ending any life just removing tissue. This is not true. I don't care how you put it or how scientific you want to become, the issue is that this is a potential human being that has been created and by "removing it" you are ending something prematurely. That something is called life.

There was a movie made recently called October Baby. It's a story of a girl that discovers she is the product of a failed abortion. She finds out all of this during her freshmen year of college. The story is remarkable of how this girl learns to deal with the lies she has been told her whole life and also how she learns to love herself after knowing she wasn't wanted. She also learns to forgive. Forgive her parents for not telling her the truth, forgive her birth mother for not wanting her, and forgive herself for the hatred she feels towards herself.

It's a beautiful story about the life of a girl who wasn't supposed to live. It makes you realize that you never know what potential a life could have.

What is even more interesting is during the end credits the actress who plays the birth mother tells how she did have an abortion and how she has carried guilt with her for years. She tells that how during one scene the tears she was crying were real and how she was finally able to forgive herself for everything she has felt for years.

The one thing that I loved about this movie is that even though it was clearly Pro-Life it didn't condem those who had chosen abortion. There was a line from the movie where a character said, "You hate the crime not the criminal." Meaning that we should still love those who hurt us or who choose a wrong path even if we don't agree with that choice.

A beautiful song plays during the end credits that mentioned all the small things that a person experiences in life that make up the bigger picture. I listened to it and thought about all those little things that I have felt and done and how beautiful even my fairly boring regular life is. It makes me wonder why anyone would be selfish enough to choose abortion over giving life. No matter how inconvienient a child may be during your life at that time, you should never let a life be prematurely ended especially when so many couples try to have a child and can't.

Life is beautiful and wonderful and precious. Each person has so much potential and so much that they will do and see and live. I wish that people could see that and stop the whole practice of abortion.

No comments: