Monday, September 15, 2008

City Living (What a joke!)

Growing up in a smallish town with people that I have known my whole life I have to say that moving to a city for college was quite a culture shock.
One of the biggest jokes of living in a city is public parking. No where is there free parking. My first year of college I lived in the dorms which provided a parking lot for us . . . a block away. Which meant if I chose to come home for a weekend I had to walk the length of a city block hauling a laundry basket full of dirty laundry and lugging a suitcase. Let's just say I had all sorts of strange looks, not to mention many city bums that were eyeing me with green eyes of jealousy.
This also meant that it was easier to walk to school then drive. For most students this posed no problem. However being an interior design major I had several problems. I was often required to carry tools such as a t-square, drafting brushes, rulers, triangles, color boards, models, etc. Lugging these items the length of three city blocks was quite comical. Several times I would have mothers shield there children from me as if I was some dangerous criminal. It's not my fault I have to carry a three foot long metal t-square!
However my second year of college I had switched my major. I also decided to go the route of an apartment. This was more convenient as far as parking goes. I could park on the street next to the building. However only if I got a parking permit. After my first day of school I promptly decided to go to the city building to acquire such a permit. Being the naive small town girl I figured it would only take me fifteen minutes at the most to drive to the city building and pay for a permit.
What a joke! From my first circling of the block the city building was located on I discovered I had to pay for metered parking. Just my luck I had emptied my wallet of all quarters the day before for laundry money. Knowing from the previous year that two blocks away was a Carl's Jr. that offered free parking for thirty minutes. Two city blocks wasn't so bad to walk. I drove to the restaurant parked and then proceeded to walk the two blocks. Upon entering the building the only person who seemed available to talk to was a security gaurd. I quickly asked him where I should go to acquire the appropriate permit. He gave me a look that told me I was very stupid. "You have to go to a building located a block North." He informed me. Feeling rather stupid I followed his instructions. So I walked another block over. The office was located on the fourth floor. I doubt I have ever been in a more slow elevator in my whole life. I walked into the office and approached the woman in one of the old out dated desks and chairs. "Excuse me, I need to get an Area 5 parking permit." The woman looked bored. "Have you had one before?" She asked rather bored. "Um . . . no." Why on Earth would I have ever needed one of these before! I have always lived in a little town where I can park on any street I wanted for free! "Well I need your driver's license, apartment contract, and car registration." Would you like my soul to? Of coarse I suddenly realized then that I had left my car registration in my car that was now four blocks away. I quickly excused myself.
Feeling like an idiot I walked the four city blocks in 85 degree weather. Upon reaching my can I realized I had no desire to walk back to the building only to turn around and walk to my car again. So I waited in line at the Carls Jr. so that I could get my one dollar bill made into change. I was able to find a parking meter that was only a block and a half away from the building. I quickly made my way to the building and was finally able to purchase my seven dollar parking sticker. What a waste of money for such a flimsy piece of plastic!
After my parking permit ordeal I made a solemn promise to myself to never live in a city again. Any place that requires you to pay for a place to park your car must have more problems then it's worth!

2 comments:

Tyler Thompson said...

Nice Anna! Now you see why I want to live in a place where I can shoot a coyote off the back porch (if I choose to :)

Grandpa Paul said...

Anna:
You are not only a beautiful writer but a very beautiful girl. How can I be more proud of my granddaughter? Wow!

Warm regards,
Grandpa Paul